MOH Golf Course History

MOH Golf Course History

This historic golf course, originally called The Officers' Club Golf Course, began in 1930 as a six-hole layout, probably built by Marine Corps construction personnel and grew into a nine-hole course with two tee boxes on each hole around 1934.

Instrumental in the course's development and later expansion to eighteen holes in the mid-1940s was Ernest Stanley, Course Superintendent from 1933, until he retired in 1976. After this expansion, the golf course became known as the "Quantico Golf Course." Although not an exceptionally long track, the rolling terrain creates subtle challenges for golfers of every skill level. The course is well marked with interval disks in the fairways, marker stakes, and yardage shown on the sprinkler heads. Some very skilled players in Northern Virginia consider this one of the area's better courses. The course is dedicated to the memory of Marines who have been awarded the nation's highest honor. In 1980, the "Quantico Golf Course" was renamed the "Medal of Honor Golf Course."

The Medal of Honor Golf Course has become a popular retreat for Commanders-in-Chief starting in the 1950s with President Dwight Eisenhower, an avid golfer, and including Presidents Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, George Bush and Bill Clinton. Golfers who tee it up here, find the Medal of Honor Golf Course a tight layout, placing a premium on shot-making in order to avoid mature trees, sand bunkers and water lining the sculptured Bermuda fairways. Landing areas that set up the best approach angle to the well-protected greens are uniformly small and hazard-lined. The small, contoured greens feature a mixture of several varieties of bent grasses, making putting somewhat complicated. The course is open all year to Active Duty and Retired military, DoD civilian employees, their family members, FBI Academy, National Guard and Reserve personnel.